Santorini: Fira to Oia hike
The #1 thing to do on Santorini according to Tripadvisor: Hike from Fira to Oia. Why not Oia to Fira? Because theoretically Fira to Oia is the downhill trail, contrary to the opposite direction which is for people with a liking for uphill trails. Don’t worry though, there are uphills on this roughly 9 kilometre hike as well. The hike takes about three hours.
Oia is known as the #1 romance spot of Santorini, the annual venue for the Red Bull Art of Motion Parkour event as well as the recommended place for watching the sunset. The sunset information has backfired thanks to the Internet. Unless you love crowds it’s not a pleasant place to be at during the sunset.
Fira to Oia hike directions
The trail is easy to follow, with signs regularly (saying Ia or just arrows) scattered along the trail pointing the direction. Another way of knowing that you’re somewhat on the right path is that the sea should be on your left side throughout the hike. I’ll just provide you with a list, instead of spoiling every little detail. If you go to Santorini, do the hike. It’s worth it.
Bear in mind:
- Don’t do this in high heels or sandals, but you don’t need hiking boots either, unless you really want to, of course.
- Bring water.
- Start early and take your bathing gear with you, so that you can go take a swim in Amoudi bay and perhaps enjoy a late lunch.
- There are A LOT of people during sunset, so if you’re not into crowds, keep clear and find a great place to have dinner instead.
- During high season I’ve heard it’s basically a line of people all the way.
- Take the bus back to Fira. The bus between Oia and Fira is 1,80€ and goes at least twice an hour.
Now in-joy some pictures